Many grocery stores now offer organic chickens that are only cooked with salt and pepper. However, they often are a bit overcooked and dry. Making a roasted chicken at home is easy and yields delicious results. Serves: 8 PREP TIME: 10 minutes COOK TIME: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1 (5 to 6 -pound) organic chicken
- 3 or 4 fresh or dried herb sprigs, including thyme, sage, or rosemary 4 carrots, sliced into large sections or 1 small bag baby carrots
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, unsalted organic grass-fed butter, or ghee, melted
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning (without garlic)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Pat the chicken until it’s dry.
- Place the vegetables in a roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Place the herbs into the chicken cavity and truss the chicken if desired.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the chicken with oil, butter or ghee.
- Sprinkle the Italian seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Generously sprinkle the chicken and the vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the Italian herbs over the chicken and vegetables.
- Bake for 90 minutes, or until fully cooked and the juices run clear. If using a meat thermometer, insert it into the thickest part of the thigh, without touching the bone. The temperature should be at least 165.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.