This dish is also great frozen and reheated.
- 1/2 lb organic ground beef
- 1/2 lb organic ground pork or sausage
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian herbs
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 3 cups freshly grated white cheddar cheese (aged at least 30 days)
- Heat oven to 400ºF. In a skillet, cook meat with garlic oil. Pour sauce, Italian herbs and salt and pepper over drained meat, bring to low boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut the top and ends of the squash off and peel it. Cut in half, width-wise and remove the seeds. Slice the squash into 1/2 inch uniform planks.
- Using a rectangle pan, lightly cover the bottom of the dish with sauce to keep the squash from sticking to the pan. Add a layer of squash, trying not to overlap the pieces. Spoon on the meat sauce mixture for the next layer and then add 1/3 of cheese mixture. Repeat two more times, with the cheese on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the lasagna has a slightly browned top. Allow the lasagna to rest for 10 minutes before cutting.